Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"I pleadge allegiance to the......desk?????

Well...this week marked a milestone for the Gardner's. Monday was our very first day of homeschooling. We are now an official homeschool family. We are finished with day three and they have all decided that this is the way to go!!! We are mostly using a CD/DVD curriculum. Dave does the supervising and tutoring for math/Algebra I prior to going to work around 12:00. I finish what needs to be done, like listening to reading or helping with the computer, and do any grading when I get home from work (very little, as the computer does most of it). I also plan for the next day. This seems to be working so far.
As I was walking out the door on Monday morning, I heard them all reciting the pledges. Instantly I had nice warm fuzzies....you know..... the picture perfect homeschool scene, with one organized, happy family all doing school together without a glitch (not reality I am sure). Then I remembered one important detail.... we didn't have our flags yet!!! I quietly tiptoed back, to peak in the schoolroom to see what they were pledging to...... It was Libby's desk!!!!!!!!! :*) Libby's desk is painted to look like a flag and that was the best available in a pinch!!!!!!!!! Creativity is the hallmark of all homeschoolers isn't it??????!!!!!!!!!!!:*) I had to laugh and it will be a scene I won't soon forget. The looks on their faces were all serious as if it was most normal to pledge to a desk!!!!!!!!!!
Dave seems to be enjoying his new role, and makes the day fun with relay races at break and cooking at lunch. I know all weeks won't be so good...and some days I will for sure threaten them with the big yellow bus, but this week has gone well, and this is one thankful mom.

(I will post pics of the temporary 'flag' and some pics of them at work, later when I am not falling asleep from benedryl.)

3 comments:

Janiece said...

Glad your school year is off to a good start! That is all we can hope for, isn't it?! Best of luck to you on this new adventure!

Anonymous said...

I admire you!!! Good luck!

Carrie said...

Glad your first week is going well! It's certainly an encouragement!