Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Hoosier Comes Home!!!!!





No, not what you think....no one died....although I feel as if I did die and go to heaven!!! On Saturday Dave called me on his way home from work and said to be in the van waiting for him when he got home...he was taking me to Frankfort. I asked what the occasion was and what we were doing. He said we were meeting a man about a business deal. I immediately bristled and declared that we were NOT buying another van!!! (he has a habit of buying new vans, with or without my consent!!) He laughed and said, don't worry, this won't be a waste of a trip. I still thought he was taking me to look at a van and continued to let him know that we would not be buying it. He said to calm down and just enjoy the ride. We finally came to a falling down garage and in he pulled. I said, "What on earth are we doing here?" I looked and no van was in sight. He said, "This man refinishes furniture and has a Hoosier cabinet for sale." Now that was more my line!!! In we went and there was my own dear beloved Hoosier cupboard in the process of being refinished/refurbished!!!! I was sooooooo excited....you see this cupboard has a long story. My sister bought a new house and this ugly black/green/cream cupboard was in the basement. She didn't want it, and I immediately said I would take it!!!! Dave had no desire to bring it to Indiana from Pennsylvania, he said it was beyond repair, but I persisted and he reluctantly brought it along. It landed in the garage, and that was the end of it. Many times I would go and check on it,just making sure it was still there. I was hoping that he hadn't taken it to the burn pile!!! Then just a few weeks ago, we were dreaming. We were just talking nonsense, saying what we would do first if we suddenly got a million dollars....I said that I would get my Hoosier Cupboard refinished!!!! He laughed and said, "that thing is beyond repair and will never look good, you better think of something else to do first!!" WRONG!!!!!!!! He decided that he would at least get a quote on getting it refinished, thinking that they would tell him it was not worth it. To his surprise, the man said that under all the layers of paint it was solid oak!!!!! He then decided to surprise me with it as a early birthday present!!!! It is simply beautiful. The neat thing is that although it came to Indiana via Pennsylvania....it is actually coming home....when the man took off the porcelin top it was stamped with Frankfort, Indiana 1920 on the underside!!!!!!!! It is a Sellers, so the actual cupboard was made in Elwood, IN (about 1/2 hr away) but the tops were made in Frankfort!!!!!
I am soooo excited, and all I want to do is just set and look at it!!! Crazy I know, but it is really beautiful!!!!! Teresa, these pics are for you.....I know you are wishing you had kept it!!!!! Thanks to you, I now own a fabulous little piece of Indiana history!!!! Dave, this is the nicest birthday gift ever....THANK YOU!!!! You are the best!!!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow, he did an awesome job on that and what a suprise that it was solid oak under all paint! It's beautiful!

tacomom said...

Do you have any "before" pics? Dave is going to have a hard time topping this bday gift next year! VERY, VERY PRETTY!

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I'm jealous!!! I think it is only right that you give it back!!!:):) so glad you have it!
Teres

Angie D said...

It's beautiful! Not to pressure my husband about the birthday this week, but... ;) (evil cackle)

Janiece said...

It is absolutely beautiful! Dave, ya DID good, what a great present! Happy Birthday Lisa!

Anonymous said...

how sweet. I am trying not to be jealous...

Jody J said...

That is beautiful!
You've been tagged. Go to my blog to get the details.
jodyj.wordpress.com

Bobbie said...

Lisa, Sorry I guess I'll tag you too since I can't find anybody else after great searching. By the way. I love the cabinet. It looks very nice. Dave always does nice things for your birthday and anniversary.